When not hospitalised at the Godwin Battery Tolkien lived for at time, presumably around this period, according to a note on a manuscript of ‘Elf Alone’ (formerly entitled ‘The Lonely Harebell’) at a “farmhouse near Easington.” In addition one of the manuscripts of what became ‘The Song of Eriol’ includes a later note, which says “Easington, 1917-18.” One of the largest landowners in the area was a Robert Walker who owned a substantial property, called The Tower in Easington, which has changed very little since 1918. Walker, who left diaries, which have been examined, is known to have rented out some of his properties to army personnel, but it isn’t known for certain if one of these was Tolkien.
As a man steeped in history, Tolkien was almost certainly aware that at the time of the Domesday Book most of the land around Easington, indeed the whole of Holderness, which wasn’t owned by the church, belonged to the Earl of Holderness, a certain Drogo! It is rather surprising that he would choose Frodo’s father’s name from a hated Norman overlord. Tolkien is on record as blaming the Norman conquest for depriving England of many of its Anglo-Saxon (native) oral myths and legends before they could be written down. Whether Tolkien recalled this name when he was writing The Lord of the Rings and selecting a name for Frodo’s father is debatable. However, Holderness contains both North and South Frodingham, so there does appear to be at the least a tenuous link between these two members of the Baggins family in the landscape of the East Riding.